Ritalin SR 20mg (sustained-release) is a medication that contains the active ingredient methylphenidate hydrochloride, which is a central nervous system stimulant.Ritalin SR works by increasing the levels of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, such as dopamine and norepinephrine, which can help improve focus and reduce impulsivity and hyperactivity in people with ADHD.
The sustained-release formulation of Ritalin is designed to release the medication gradually over several hours, providing a longer-lasting effect compared to immediate-release formulations of Ritalin. This can be beneficial for people who need symptom relief throughout the day, such as during school or work.
As with any medication, it is important to use Ritalin SR only as directed by a healthcare provider and to closely monitor for any potential side effects or interactions with other medications.
How To Ritalin Works
The SR in the name stands for sustained-release, which means that the medication is formulated to be released gradually over a longer period of time, typically lasting for 8-10 hours.
Ritalin SR works by increasing the levels of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, specifically dopamine and norepinephrine, which play important roles in regulating attention, focus, and impulse control. By increasing the availability of these neurotransmitters, Ritalin SR can help improve symptoms of ADHD such as inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity.
It’s also important to note that Ritalin SR has a high potential for abuse and dependence, so it should only be used under close medical supervision.
Use Ritalin SR (methylphenidate controlled-release tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take in the morning.
- Some drugs may need to be taken with food or on an empty stomach. For some drugs it does not matter. Check with your pharmacist about how to take Ritalin SR (methylphenidate controlled-release tablets).
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- If you have been taking Ritalin SR 20MG (methylphenidate controlled-release tablets) for a long time or at high doses, it may not work as well and you may need higher doses to get the same effect. This is known as tolerance. Call your doctor if Ritalin SR (methylphenidate controlled-release tablets) stops working well. Do not take more than ordered.
- Limit your use of caffeine (for example, tea, coffee, cola) and chocolate. Use with Ritalin SR (methylphenidate controlled-release tablets) may cause nervousness, shakiness, and a fast heartbeat.
- Have your blood work checked if you are on Ritalin SR (methylphenidate controlled-release tablets) for a long time. Talk with your doctor.
- If you are taking Ritalin SR (methylphenidate controlled-release tablets) and have high blood pressure, talk with your doctor before using OTC products that may raise blood pressure. These include cough or cold drugs, diet pills, stimulants, ibuprofen or like products, and some natural products or aids.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Joint pain.
- Purple patches on the skin or mouth.
- Change in eyesight.
- Trouble controlling body movements.
- Sweating a lot.
- Change in color of hands or feet from pale to blue or red.
- Numbness, pain, tingling, or cold feeling of the hands or feet.
- Any sores or wounds on the fingers or toes.
- Muscle pain or weakness, dark urine, or trouble passing urine.
- Change in sex interest.
- Call your doctor right away if you have a painful erection (hard penis) or an erection that lasts for longer than 4 hours. This may happen even when you are not having sex.